Cauliflower soup with chilli oil
Cauliflower is such a wonderful and diverse vegetable.
It is high in vitamin C and K and is also a great source of folate and fibre. Cauliflower is said to be anti-inflammatory, help control blood pressure and aid kidney function too. What is not to love about this vegetable?
It is also easy to roast it with fresh herbs or make cauli-mash with various spices for the perfect side dish.
Now for the delicious winter warming soup recipe..
Heat in a saucepan over moderate heat:
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- A pinch of hingh (sometimes called asafoetida)
- 1 large peeled and roughly chopped sweet potato
- 1 washed head of cauliflower broken into large florets (you can also add some of the stalk and surrounding green leaves)
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp good quality celtic salt
- 1 good sprig of fresh tarragon
Place the lid on the pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add 5-6 cups of organic or homemade vegetable stock.
Bring it to the boil and then allow to simmer with the lid on until the vegetables are soft and tender.
When the vegetables are ready, blend the soup.
Add 1/4 cup cream.
Serve with a garnish of a few sautéed mushrooms, a swirl of homemade chilli oil (recipe below) and some fresh parsley.
Homemade chilli oil
Add to the saucepan:
- 1 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil and it worked really well)
- 1 star anise
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1-2 chopped red chillies (depending on how hot you want it)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
Bring it to the boil slowly using the lowest heat possible.
* Hot oil fries so don't use a high heat
Then turn the heat down once it is boiling and allow it to gently simmer for about 20 minutes.
Take it off the heat completely, allow it to cool.
Strain into a glass jar.
It can keep unrefrigerated.