Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
Recipe from Shuna Herscovitz
A brilliant, fresh orange beauty soup. Full of flavour, spices and nutrition.
Peel and roughly chop:
- 3 large carrots
- 1 very large sweet potato
- Remove the skin and roughly chop 4 ripe tomatoes
Heat in a saucepan:
- 2 Tbsp butter or oil
- Quarter tsp hingh
- Quarter tsp nutmeg
- 2 fronds curry leaf (20-30 leaves)
- 1 generous Tbsp grated ginger root
- 1 tsp paprika
- Half tsp cayenne (less if you don’t like it too hot)
Don’t let the spices burn.
- All the chopped vegetables
- 1 very heaped tsp demerara sugar (brown cooking sugar/coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp salt (good quality rock salt)
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- Mix everything together well, place the lid on the pan and allow the vegetable to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add and bring to the boil:
- 6-8 cups water or vegetable stock (depending on how thick you’d like the soup)
- Turn the heat down and let the vegetables cook until tender.
- Remove the curry leaves.
- Blend the soup until smooth and serve garnished with fresh coriander.